Prepping for SXSW can be dizzying. And Spark knows that things can get a bit crazy once you hit the ground in Austin.
We Sparksters put our head’s together and came up with 5 tips to help you get through the week.
Follow @Sparkpr to get real-time tips, updates and all things “weird” from our team on the ground in Austin.
Sparkpr’s SXSW Tips for PR Pros
1. Your calendar becomes a unicorn. Go with the flow.
- RSVP to as many parties as you can.
- Make your itinerary once you are on the ground in Austin.
- Commit to two events a day.
2. Be a business card vending machine. And Bump your phone plenty.
- Organize your networking strategy beforehand.
- Say “hi” to everyone you come across.
- Always offer up your contact info.
3. Charge your phone during every shred of downtime.
- Be on the lookout for charging stations and open plugs.
- Be ruthless or be disconnected.
4. Just be friends with journalists: Party on instead of pitch off.
- Journalists don’t want to get pitched while they are partying.
- Engage with them as you would a friend and follow up later.
5. Use social media for all it’s worth. Document and interact.
- Prepare a list of SXSW attendees that you want to meet.
- Create a saved search of the #SXSW hashtag to follow the conversation.